SDG: Sustainability

PolySto pays the necessary attention to sustainable business. The 2 most important factors for PolySto are “People” and “Planet”. PolySto also works in accordance with the SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) objectives, written by the United Nations.

GOAL 3: Good health and well-being

By using the sustainable and hygienic CleanRock kerbs, bacterial contamination such as Salmonella, Listeria and E.colli can be avoided. Via a global approach we take part in complete Food Safe design facilities.

GOAL 4: Quality education

PolySto offers students the chance to do their internship in an open and well observed environment. Many of these students also start working with us after their internship. Continuing to learn is the key to succes. Therefore PolySto offers training and carreer opportunities to all its employees. Worldwide we also offer free seminars and training courses to large companies or Food Safe design groups.

GOAL 6: Clean water and sanitation

With the design of the production process, specific attention was devoted to find ways to reduce water consumption. Through the roof of the PolySto building, 95% of the rainwater is collected and used for the total consumption of the plumbing and production. The remaining 5% is divided between a pond and an immersion reservoir.

PolySto kerbs are an important part of the hygienic sanitation flow of food production companies.

GOAL 7: Affordable and clean energy

In the development of the production process and the office spaces, we assumed the highest possible energy efficiency (including high-quality insulation panels, LED lighting). Nevertheless, there is still a significant power consumption for production, cooling, heating, lighting, IT, controls, etc. That is why we thought it was important to generate this power responsibly. Since 2018, the entire roof of the production hall and offices are full of solar panels, which means that PolySto can run 100% on green, self-generated electricity. Employees use the charging installations for charging an electric car and bicycle. The surplus of green power production is injected back into the network and made available to other companies and users.

GOAL 8: Decent work and economic growth

For PolySto, employees are an important element in success. Employees are given the opportunity to grow and take on additional responsibilities. Great importance is attached to ensuring that all employees are fairly compensated. Team building events are regularly organized and a healthy balance between family life and career ambitions is constantly sought. Parental leave for both mother and father is encouraged in births.

GOAL 9: Industry, innovation and infrastructure

As a specialist in Hygienic Wall Protection with projects such as Unilever, PepsiCo, Heinz, Mondelez, Kellogg’s, our company was invited to participate in an EHEDG (European Hygienic Engineering Group) working group on the new European manual for building food-safe production companies.

GOAL 12: Responsible consumption and production

The production of PolySto works with synthetic products, but also with natural products such as quartz. We work together with suppliers to produce as little waste as possible and to recycle as much as possible. Together with suppliers we are also looking for naturally degradable polyester. The production failure of the basic quartz raw material is reused. Reused quartz is even better for us, since the polyester molecules adhere better to quartz that already has a layer of polyester around it. With this cycle, PolySto is taking a Cradle to Cradle approach. Quartz that has already been molded into a kerb form can be crushed and remixed with polyester and turned into a kerb, or any other quartz application.

GOAL 13: Climate action

The new company building of PolySto in Lokeren was built with environmental friendliness in mind. The building is set in a sustainable way, with the lowest possible CO2 emissions.

GOAL 17: Partnerships for the goals

PolySto is a founding member of the FTB-cluster (Foodtech Belgium). This is a cluster of Flemish machine manufacturers and equipment for the Food Industry. The companies are located in the Flemish region, which is known for a qualitative and innovative product policy. FTB members undertake to respect the environment and international standards regarding quality, ergonomics, safety and hygiene. Over the years this has become a very important cluster with members such as; Pattyn, Isomasters, Cretel, Spiromatic, Flaminex, Dynaco, Marelec and B-Hygienic.